Running 16 bit builtin exes fails?

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Sun Mar 8 05:03:44 CDT 2009

On Sun, Mar 8, 2009 at 10:13 AM, Alexandre Julliard <julliard at winehq.org> wrote:
>> $ cd programs/winhelp.exe16
>> $ wine winhelp.exe16.so
>> fails with
>> err:process:start_process
>> L"Z:\\home\\dank\\wine32\\programs\\winhelp.exe16\\winhelp.exe16"
>> doesn't have an entry point, it cannot be executed
>
> Running those directly is not supported. Not that it would be of any use
> anyway,

My goal is to integrate the win16 test suite; I was just trying
to run programs/winhelp.exe16 since that's the only "16 bit"
program we have so far.

> but if you really want to, you can start it with 'wine winevdm
> winhelp.exe'.

Tried that just now:

~/wine32/programs/winhelp.exe16$ ~/wine32/wine winevdm winhelp.exe16.so
winevdm: can't exec
'Z:\home\dank\wine32\programs\winhelp.exe16\winhelp.exe16.so': invalid
program file

Also, I was hoping we really had a solution for building 16 bit
executables, but objdump reports that it's all 32 bit code.
Should it still be possible to write win16 tests with this infrastructure
(lightly extended, if needed)?
- Dan