Running 16 bit builtin exes fails?

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Sun Mar 8 16:21:38 CDT 2009

On Sun, Mar 8, 2009 at 8:18 PM, Saulius Krasuckas <saulius2 at ar.fi.lt> wrote:
> Would it be acceptable to use Open Watcom C compiler to crosscompile the
> 16-bit part?  (v1.8 released two weaks ago)

That's what win16test.googlecode.com already uses, though it uses
the windows version (as we had some problems using the linux
version as a crosscompiler; it's supposed to work, but didn't quite).

The other annoyance is that one still can't do "apt-get install watcom-c"
in ubuntu.  This is unlikely ever to be fixed in Ubuntu proper
because of licensing problems, see

Alexandre didn't like using the Windows version, see
http://wiki.jswindle.com/index.php/Coding_Hints:Test_Cases#Win16_test_and_the_Wine_Tree
so if somebody wants to have another shot at using the Linux version
to cross-compile win16 problems, please do.   Then our configure
script can detect whether watcom is installed, and generate the
win16 tests if it is.

Alternately we could just use assembly to test win16 and dos, but that
would make it awful hard to port the existing win16 test suite.
- Dan