Patch to fix bug 17619 - GetDriveTypeW reporting C: as a network share if /home is an NFS share

Ben Klein shacklein at gmail.com
Tue Mar 10 06:49:16 CDT 2009

2009/3/10 Forest Hale <lordhavoc at ghdigital.com>:
> Ben Klein wrote:
>> You're wrong there, it's DRIVE_UNKNOWN, which is the autodetect thing
>> (I haven't looked into it in detail, but something is *correctly*
>> autodetecting your drive C: as a network drive).
> <snip>
>> I'm still pretty sure kernel32 isn't the right place for forcing drive
>> type. Maybe someone more experienced can comment?
>
> I can't think of any case where you would want C: to be reported as a non-fixed drive - I suspect Windows may behave this way even if it was installed to a removable disk - and as far as wine users
> are concerned, the C: drive should be a fixed drive.
>
> More importantly my patch should not introduce any secondary bugs, and that was my top priority.
>
> You say it reports DRIVE_UNKNOWN, but create_drive_devices uses this logic:
>        drive_type = i < 2 ? DEVICE_FLOPPY : DEVICE_HARDDISK_VOL;
>        if (drives_key)
>
> To me it was pretty clear that all drives without a registry value are going to show up as DEVICE_HARDDISK_VOL, which translates to DRIVE_FIXED, which means that the "auto-detect" type is not being
> used on drives without an override value (and winecfg stores no registry value for drives set to auto-detect, so it can only be set with regedit).

You're looking in the wrong place. create_device_devices in device.c
is where the ~/.wine/dosdevices/X:: links are created (where X is a
drive letter). I'm looking in mountmgr.c/define_unix_drive, which
defines a whole drive (not just the device link) and DEVICE_UNKNOWN is
the default here. Note that DEVICE_UNKNOWN is the "autodetect" system,
and the other cases that can be set via winecfg (except DRIVE_FIXED)
are handled there.

Take a look at this thread where drive C is being talked about again.
There is debate over whether Wine should explicitly treat drive C
specially, or whether it should be dynamic (like a reference based on
%SystemDrive%).
http://www.winehq.org/pipermail/wine-devel/2009-March/073835.html