Wiki challenge question on user account creation

King InuYasha ngompa13 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 11 05:38:46 CDT 2009

On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 3:46 AM, David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com> wrote:

> 2009/3/5 King InuYasha <ngompa13 at gmail.com>:
>
> > A wiki shouldn't have users creating accounts every day, that is a bad
> > indicator.
>

> It is difficult to understand the thinking behind such a statement
> unless you are literally aiming to close a project to outside
> participation.
>

> - d.

Sorry, I should have completed my thought. If you can justify users creating
accounts every day and adding real content to the wiki, then that is fine.
But in most cases, when wikis have lots of users creating accounts every
day, generally some serious spamming is going on or is about to go on. Now,
WineHQ is a high-activity site, so there is some justification for having
lots of users, but take care to use basic precautions when having users
created. My two favorite methods of ensuring users are actually real ones
are email confirm and CAPTCHA, usually a combination of the two. If you
still see similarly high levels of user creation and real content is being
added, then its ok. However, if you use an old version of any web content
software, then the benefits may be negated by the fact that it is possible
that the wiki engine had already been compromised.