Wiki challenge question on user account creation

Ben Klein shacklein at gmail.com
Wed Mar 11 18:12:34 CDT 2009

2009/3/12 David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com>:
> 2009/3/11 Ben Klein <shacklein at gmail.com>:
>
>> Does what we have now work? Yes. Is there any reason why we should
>> consider moving from Moin to some other Wiki system? Your turn to
>> answer.
>
> At work, I use a ridiculous range of wiki engines. I've used Moin and
> MediaWiki most heavily.
>
> Reasons for picking Moin are typically:
>
> * it'll do
> * it's not PHP
> * it doesn't use a database.
>
> Reasons for picking MediaWiki are typically:
>
> * it'll do
> * people know how to use Wikipedia.

Moin is sounding better to me so far. Less overhead is good.
Generally, people pick a Wiki that Just Works (TM). Unfortunately,
they pretty much all do, so there's no absolute "this is better". The
existence of so many different Wiki systems is testament to that.

> I did a move at work from Moin to MediaWiki, on the intranet wiki ten
> of us use all day every day. Our reason was that our Moin wiki was
> just somehow not as usable as we wanted from a wiki, so we gave
> MediaWiki a go and it was good enough to bother moving engines. Also,
> the Moin wiki was full of outdated rubbish, so this was a handy excuse
> to start over.

"somehow not as usable" isn't a strong argument either. Specifically
what issues do you have with Moin, and are they present on
wiki.winehq.org?

>> Number of new users is not necessarily proportional to number of new
>> spammers. Do we actually have a problem with spam on the Wiki?
>
> If there is, I'll hereby put my hand up to help.

You were implying that there IS a problem with spammers. I see a
request elsewhere on wine-devel to have an IP blocked, so that's one
spammer out of how many new users?