Wine on Windows - wiki notes

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Wed Mar 11 18:54:27 CDT 2009

2009/3/11 Steven Edwards <winehacker at gmail.com>:
> On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 5:53 PM, David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com> wrote:

>> I thought Cygwin had long had sendmsg/recvmsg:

> According to Microsofts documentation (thanks Thunderbird)
> Vista/Windows Server 2008 and the Subsystem for Unix applications is
> supposed to support this so we might actually have a chance at seeing
> Wine run on Windows soon. I have a regression test for passing file
> descriptors with sendmsg/recvmsg I am working on that should be ready
> in a few more days and will post it. I'll test with Cygwin and SFU
> under Windows XP. Hopefully someone with Vista and Windows Server 2003
> or 2007 can test for us.

SUA for Windows 7 should be available around RC time:
http://blogs.msdn.com/sfu/archive/2009/01/23/nfs-and-sua-in-windows-7.aspx

(I've been experimenting with the Windows 7 beta. I'll have to hold
off on more of that until I have a spare machine with the ridiculous
quantities of memory it wants to run without great pain. Stupidly fat.
Pretty, though.)

Vista/Win7 is where Wine on Windows would actually be useful to users,
of course - given Wine targets XP already.

- d.