Disabling File attachments on Wiki

Ben Klein shacklein at gmail.com
Fri Mar 13 09:59:55 CDT 2009

2009/3/13 Dmitry Timoshkov <dmitry at codeweavers.com>:

>> It would also attract spammers to creating personal pages.
>
> And *that* actually will show the real need for captchas at the login
> creation time, and IMO will help fighting with spammers if removing a
> personal page will eventually lead to the account removal.

Sure, why not have a captcha? I really don't care either way. But I do
object strongly to removing accounts that don't have a personal page.
After all, if we do have a spammer problem, we can just disable the
offending accounts.

Note that in order to be an effective spammer-blocker, the captcha has
to have a variable response. Someone suggested "Who is the Wine
project maintainer?" as a captcha - this would just require an extra
POST field to be added to a spambot's request. Of course, complicated
captchas don't keep out manually created spam accounts, only bots.