How to enable font anti-aliasing in Wine?

David Gerard dgerard at
Sun Mar 15 11:35:20 CDT 2009

2009/3/15 Roderick Colenbrander <thunderbird2k at>:

> What is so special about Wine why anti-aliasing isn't working for most users? (it could be a regression) In Stefan his case it started working after installing a Windows tahoma.ttf. What is so special about this font? A modern Linux system has dozens or hundreds of fonts installed and both GNOME/KDE can use each font AA'ed without issues.

I recently reinstalled this system with Ubuntu 8.10 and its inbuilt
Wine 1.0.1. I then added the repo to get the
fortnightly snapshots. A string of registry changes enabled smoothed
fonts for me:

However, it's deeply problematic that I had to do this at all instead
of it Just Working when Wine was updated. This is just broken.

- d.