SoC: DirectShow/Gstreamer

Roderick Colenbrander thunderbird2k at gmx.net
Tue Mar 17 05:43:32 CDT 2009

> Hi,
>
> I'm interested in applying for a GSoC project related to wine.  I am
> looking at doing the DirectShow/Gstreamer idea that is listed in the
> wiki (http://wiki.winehq.org/SummerOfCode).  From the idea description
> there are a number of factors that would make this an ideal solution.
> The description mentions the availability of legal codecs (from
> fluendo) plus the ability to use the codecs already exposed to
> gstreamer (ie. install a codec and native/wine applications instantly
> get support).
>
> Recently GStreamer has added some pipeline elements targeted at
> integrating with other frameworks (appsrc/appsink) which allow sending
> data down a gstreamer pipeline and/or recieving it.  Prior to these
> you had to write your own element (this wasn't too much work either
> depending on your needs and may still be preferred for more
> compatibility).
>
> I am quite familiar with both C and GStreamer.  I have never looked at
> DirectShow though from what i know they are similar in concept.
> GStreamer does have some DirectShow filters that allow it to use
> directshow elements inside GStreamer (on windows anyway).
>
> My experience with wine has been limited to my own experiments.  I've
> played around with audio drivers for wine.  I wrote one that used
> GStreamer and later adjusted this to use pulseaudio instead.  I never
> got time to clean them up to the point of submitting them.
>
> I have a few questions in regard to this idea.  Do you think this
> project would provide adequate work to occupy the SoC timeframe?  I
> would have to learn DirectShow which I don't believe would be too
> difficult.  I've worked with DirectSound/DirectX and would expect it
> to require a similiar amount of work.  I've also spent a fair amount
> of time inside wine's source code looking into various bugs.
>
> I welcome any comments, suggestions or idea related to this.  I'd love
> any feedback so I know this is an idea that is wanted (i would like
> it...i use wine quite often) and so my application is as good as it
> can be.
>
> Cheers,
> Trevor Davenport

Hi Trevor,

I was the one who put this project suggestion on the wiki. Personally I think it should be a fine soc project. The project would be quite flexible. I expect that the project is too broad and initially should be confined to some widely used audio / video codecs and some widely used rendering methods (rgb / yuv). There will likely be bugs enough to fix ;)

Further I would define one or more apps you want to get working. If I remember correctly some games want to use mpeg or divx for movie playback (Warcraft III uses another codec). The ultimate app to get working using wine's quartz + gstreamer would of course be Windows Media Player ;) Though an open source media player like Media player classic which can use the same codecs is likely easier because you have the source.

Roderick