SoC: DirectShow/Gstreamer

Trevor Davenport trevor.davenport at gmail.com
Tue Mar 17 12:48:13 CDT 2009

Hi Maarten,

> I think this is a great idea. I have no idea how gstreamer works, but
> a lot of quartz is automatic pulling the pipes etc together. There are
> 3 categories of filters in directshow:
> - Source filters (can be a file, can be a webcam, can be any filter
> that has only an output)
> - Intermediate filters (can decode or parse a file, multiple can be
> linked together)
> - Renderers

Gstreamer is quite similiar, there are:
- Sources (provide data, filesrc, v4l, networksrc, etc)
- Sink (data endpoints, xvideo sink, filesink, network sink, etc)
- Filters, convertors, demuxers, muxers, codecs

> I have only peeked at gstreamer, but it seems it is very similar.
> Wine's directshow however still misses a few things that are probably
> important, like sending information about when new segments start,
> etc. If you implemented a gstreamer codec, a big part of it could be
> to fix this to be more similar to what windows does.

I expected there to be a number of things that are either not
implemented or will need some work. At this point I don't think
getting data in/out of gstreamer will be very difficult (i've done it
before and am currently using gstreamer for university project).  Is
there any documentation about the current state of wine's quartz (ie,
wiki page, good buzilla reports/comments, etc)?

> I have also made a stand-alone codec for schroedinger last year, which
> falls in the 'intermediate filters' category. It's source is available
> at:
> http://www.diracvideo.org/git?p=direct-schro.git;a=tree;h=HEAD

Cool, thanks for the link.  I will check it out a bit later once i
finish some other work.

Cheers,

Trevor Davenport