SOC Project Idea: Winelib-aware scons

Ben Klein shacklein at gmail.com
Fri Mar 20 21:21:35 CDT 2009

2009/3/21 Pau Garcia i Quiles <pgquiles at elpauer.org>:
> Hello,
>
> If you don't mind using CMake ( http://cmake.org ) instead of Scons,
> here is a starting point:
>
> http://dgwarp.hd.free.fr/vcproj2cmake.rb
>
> On Sat, Mar 21, 2009 at 12:50 AM, Scott Ritchie <scott at open-vote.org> wrote:
>> For a while now I've been hoping someone would tackle a pet project of
>> mine.  It occurred to me that it would be a great summer of code project.
>>
>> Basically, I want a magic script that can convert a visual studio
>> project file into a winelib-aware, scons-powered, linux-compatible build
>> system.  This would make it very easy for a Windows-only Visual Studio
>> project to be ported.
>>
>> Now, normally, someone writing portable code would probably want to use
>> scons from the start instead of Visual Studio, but Winelib throws a monkey
>> wrench into this process by making formerly non-portable code suddenly Linux
>> compatible.
>>
>> As a good example application to test, the program eMule would be a good
>> candidate - it's open source, works great in Wine, is built with Visual
>> Studio, and has no good native equivalents.
>>
>> I've added a work in progress wiki page on the Wine wiki here:
>> http://wiki.winehq.org/SconsWine
>>

>> I'm not sure whether this will function better as an scons summer of
>> code project or a Wine one, nor am I sure where a student would be able
>> to find a good mentor.  Accordingly, I'm emailing both mailing lists,
>> and hoping for some feedback, particularly if it doesn't sound feasible.
>>

>> Thanks,
>> Scott Ritchie

There are so many different build systems. Classic Make, GNU Make,
scons, setuptools ... there must be plenty I don't know about too. A
framework for adapting Visual Studio projects to some generic format
which can then be processed into whatever native make-like system you
want would probably be the way to go, but also involve a *lot* more
work than just making a scons or CMake variant :)