[scons-dev] SOC Project Idea: Winelib-aware scons

Greg Noel GregNoel at tigris.org
Mon Mar 23 10:58:50 CDT 2009

On Mar 22, 2009, at 4:47 AM, King InuYasha wrote:

> Does SCons support the project-within-a-project build style that is
> used in Visual Studio? ...

SCons is amazingly policy-neutral, and we work to keep it that way.
(It has occasionally been a bone of contention, when people have
wanted us to support a particular development model by enforcing rules
to exclude other styles.)  In other words, there's nothing to prevent
the VS style, although there's nothing that specifically "supports"
it, either.

> Additionally, since a lot of sources have mixed case, you would need
> to have some sort of check for that built into the analysis. ...

I think this is what concerns me more than anything else.  I don't
think SCons itself should be in the business of auto-magically
converting sources.  Maybe providing tools to help the user convert,
but even that is pushing the envelope.

> ... I did find the sources for the project importer, ...

Unfortunately, that's in C++ and we're a pure Python shop.  Moreover,
I suspect the license is incompatible (it seems to use the GNU virus,
while we use the MIT license).  But it's a useful reference and I'll
hang on to it; thanks.

Hope this helps,
-- Greg Noel, retired UNIX guru