[scons-dev] SOC Project Idea: Winelib-aware scons

Greg Noel GregNoel at tigris.org
Mon Mar 23 11:29:26 CDT 2009

On Mar 22, 2009, at 11:18 AM, Francois Gouget wrote:

> The Winelib tools (winebuild, winegcc, wrc, widl, etc) are actually
> used everyday [sic] and are under active development as they are
> used to build Wine itself.

Ah, I didn't know that.  I thought winelib was more like a replacement
for the SDK.  (And maybe it's that, too; as a UNIX weenie, I'm well
outside my knowledge base here.)

> What is not under active development is the tools to automatically
> convert Windows projects / source code into something that can be
> compiled using the Wine build tools. ...

I think I begin to understand.  And I'd guess that's why Scott
described it as a converter, not as built-in functionality.

> But none of that should be an issue for someone writing a dsp/vcproj
> to SCons converter.

True, but that project would be less appealing to us, as it wouldn't
require the student to open our code  base (or yours, for that
matter), and what we'd like is for the student to evolve into a
regular contributor.

Hope this helps,
-- Greg Noel, retired UNIX guru