No subject

Tue Mar 17 14:04:44 CDT 2009

several dozen different tests, for various functions of wine.<br>
Obviously, I&#39;d like to start with platinum rated applications, to<br>
prevent regressions. From there, the current list of<br>
applications/functions to target are:<br>
1. Firefox3 - useful for testing lots of other things, e.g.,<br>
java/flash, etc. Easy to test.<br>
2. Microsoft Office - We&#39;ve broken this a few times in recent months,<b=
r>
so adding a test in daily git for it would help catch regressions<br>
sooner.<br>
3. World of Warcraft - I don&#39;t play, but A) It&#39;s really popular, an=
d<br>
B) also gives us a chance to test wininet for regressions.<br>
4. iTunes - this installers been broken a couple times. The bonjour<br>
service should allow for testing services related regressions.<br>
5. Adobe suite - there haven&#39;t been too many regressions here that I<br=

can remember, but it&#39;s definitely an area we should watch out for.<br>
Of course, we don&#39;t want to only test the installer&#39;s keystrokes/mo=
use<br>
inputs, so SHA1 checksumming of installed files would verify against<br>
corrupted files/setupapi regressions/etc. Once a few installer tests<br>
are in and working well, I plan to extend the tests further to test<br>
running the application, e.g, for photoshop by opening a file,<br>
inserting a circle, and saving it. This is a bit harder to pull off in<br>
Autohotkey in a way that&#39;s portable, so I&#39;m saving that sort of thi=
ng<br>
for later.<br>
Also interesting would be a real application&#39;s test suite. Dan<br>
suggested using Google Chrome&#39;s, since it&#39;s squeaky clean after usi=
ng<br>
lots of Valgrind and Purify. That would be good, but I&#39;d put that<br>
after getting the test suite to pass in Wine.<br>
This should be very doable using Autohotkey&#39;s scripting functionality<b=
r>
(pretty extensive - <a href=3D"http://www.autohotkey.com/docs/Functions.htm=
" target=3D"_blank">http://www.autohotkey.com/docs/Functions.htm</a>,<br>
http://www.autohotkey.com/docs/Variables.htm</a>) and good old fashioned<br=

shell scripting. I&#39;m very familiar with bourne scripting, and<br>
currently maintain winetricks while Dan&#39;s taking a Wine vacation. I&#39=
;m<br>
currently working on a build script to build Wine on several OS&#39;s, as<b=
r>
well as running and submitting the conformance tests<br>
(<a href=3D"http://winezeug.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/build_script/daily.sh"=
 target=3D"_blank">http://winezeug.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/build_script/da=
ily.sh</a>). [I<br>
got tired of maintaining the script over several different<br>
OS&#39;s/computers]. The upside is it would be easy to add on appinstall<br=

to this daily script. I typically set it running before leaving home<br>
for work/school. It spends an hour or so building wine and running the<br>
tests in a few different configurations. Adding appinstall would allow<br>
my computer to daily test several applications for installation,<br>
running, etc. This of course isn&#39;t as useful as Patchwatcher&#39;s test=
ing<br>
of each single patch, but I don&#39;t currently have a spare machine that<b=
r>
it can test on. Getting a script and tests ready to do so, however,<br>
would be great for Wine. Besides, I can easily setup the script to<br>
upload the results to a webserver, so we can daily see that each test<br>
is passing. If a test is failing, the information would then be<br>
publicly available for anyone to run &#39;git bisect&#39;.<br>
Wow, this turned into a really long e-mail, and I&#39;ve got an exam to<br>
study for. I&#39;d appreciate any comments, and let me know if there are<br=

any questions.<br>
--<br>

--0016e6dd8d7e514d240465ecc306--