SOC 2009: Application Test Suite

Austin English austinenglish at gmail.com
Thu Mar 26 23:52:11 CDT 2009

2009/3/26 Vít Hrachový <vit.hrachovy at sandbox.cz>:
> Austin English wrote:
>>
>> I was more interested in a quick proof of concept. The flexibility of
>> autohotkey allows for lots of different methods for doing such things,
>> and a method that involves the majority of code being run under AHK
>> itself (and therefore on wine AND windows) is very possible with
>> careful planning, which is part of what makes this proposal so
>> interesting.
>>

> Hi Austin,
> IMO it would be nice to make clear line between *installation* testing and
> *functional* testing.

Agreed. However, I don't want to bite off more than I can chew. I
think getting some basic installation scripts that we can put into
constant use would be better than trying to get a script to test that
a game works (which could break on different desktop environments,
video cards/drivers/etc.).

> The second could try to cover some basic aspects of program functionality,
> say - Firefox is able to view http://winehq.org or so.
>
> AutoHotkey even supports screenshots matching.

Possible, but that seems a bit flaky, especially when testing windows vs wine.

> See *-repository/*/resources for some library of existing primitive
> AutoHotkey install/uninstall scripts. There are some game demos too.
>
> http://winebot.sandbox.cz/tracker/browser/repositories

Thanks!

> Heroes of Might and Magic III demo installs and runs well, too (beware of
> troubles with PulseAudio).

Exactly why we need to go for things that work well across the board.
Concentrate on the low hanging fruit, then work toward more difficult
stuff from there.

--
-Austin