Question about my user32 tests patch

Joel Holdsworth joel at airwebreathe.org.uk
Sat May 2 07:58:42 CDT 2009

Hi All,

I just submitted my first ever patch to wine-patches (attached) - good
news. In retrospect I may have been a little premature. The patch adds
tests for user32:DrawIcon and user32:DrawIconEx including tests for icon
alpha blending which wine does not currently support.

It occured to me that my alpha tests will fail in versions of Windows
that don't support alpha blending - but the problem is I'm not sure at
what point alpha began to be supported. I only have a VM for XP - and I
think, but I don't know for sure, that alpha icons began to be supported
in 2000.

How do you deal with this problem, because presumably not every test
contributor has VMs ready to confirm the behaviour of 95, 98, ME, 2000,
XP and Vista. Do I submit the patch as-is, in the knowlege that it will
cause failures in old windows? Presumably not - so what do you suggest I
do?

I now have code to make DrawIcon pass the alpha tests, and I'm hoping to
have DrawIconEx ready in a few hours. With these done it should be
possible to in-cooperate my Tango patches, which should improve the
appearance of wine quite substantially.

Thanks
Joel