Severity levels

Austin English austinenglish at gmail.com
Sat May 2 13:13:52 CDT 2009

2009/5/1 Nicklas Börjesson <Nicklas.Borjesson at ws.se>:
> Current severity levels are perfect for server applications where everything is simply about functionality working or not working.
> However, the overwhelming majority of windows applications in general, and those being ported through wine in particular are GUI-based, end-user applications.
> When it comes to these kinds of applications, in front of which actual people sit for hours on end doing actual work, other factors come into play.

Wine is meant to support _ALL_ windows applications. It doesn't give
priority to 'server' or 'desktop' applications (there is no
difference, really), but instead tries to make all of them work.

I have a feeling that by 'server' applications, you meant to say 'old
crappy business applications', or something similar, which makes a bit
of sense. Those applications are simple, and don't depend on a large
portion of the Win32 API, which makes them easy to get running.

While getting Photoshop to run perfectly would be great (and _a lot_
of work has been done for this, by Dan K filing a ton of bugs, and
Google funding a lot of bug fixing
(http://google-opensource.blogspot.com/2008/02/google-sponsors-wine-improvements.html).
A lot of that helped CS 3/4, as well, but Adobe also added more
complexity, so they don't work quite as well.

Remember, Wine is open source, and most developers aren't paid. If
you've got a bug that drives you crazy, study the source
(http://source.winehq.org/git/wine.git/), and submit a patch
(http://wiki.winehq.org/SubmittingPatches).

--
-Austin