RFC on Base Wine Config

Ben Klein shacklein at gmail.com
Sat May 2 21:11:44 CDT 2009

2009/5/3 chris ahrendt <celticht32 at yahoo.com>:

> I have noticed something with reporting bugs and problems that are
> encountered...
>
> If the user is allowed to delete the Z: share to /  once this is done
> things start acting strange or not working.

In general, you can't run apps outside of what's linked to in
dosdevices. You certainly can't launch them from inside Wine. The link
to / is mostly there for convenience so you don't have to keep dumping
downloads (e.g. patches or small installers) in ~/.wine/drive_c every
time you want to install them, and partly to allow Wine to launch
applications in /usr/bin et al (e.g. winebrowser).

> Many people have done this for various reasons.

Yes, and it's valid to do so.

> My suggestion is to do the following:
>
> 1. If we have a base configuration that should not change for settings
> IE the Z: mapping then do not allow this to be changed or deleted in
> winecfg. If someone is dumb enough to go into the ini file and delete it
> then they should know better.

This would make a lot of people unhappy (like the creation of the
Universe) for "various reasons".

> 2. If it is critical that the Z: or drive mapping be there for  / then
> if its missing should wine then handle this condition?

1) It's not critical.
2) Wine already handles this condition. It's no different from any
other drive link in this way. It doesn't even have to be Z; you can
manually change it to be D if you really want. The only critical drive
is C: and that IS handled differently (especially in winecfg).