RFC on Base Wine Config

chris ahrendt celticht32 at yahoo.com
Sat May 2 21:20:25 CDT 2009

Ben Klein wrote:
> 2009/5/3 chris ahrendt <celticht32 at yahoo.com>:
>
>> I have noticed something with reporting bugs and problems that are
>> encountered...
>>
>> If the user is allowed to delete the Z: share to /  once this is done
>> things start acting strange or not working.
>>

> In general, you can't run apps outside of what's linked to in
> dosdevices. You certainly can't launch them from inside Wine. The link
> to / is mostly there for convenience so you don't have to keep dumping
> downloads (e.g. patches or small installers) in ~/.wine/drive_c every
> time you want to install them, and partly to allow Wine to launch
> applications in /usr/bin et al (e.g. winebrowser).
>

>> Many people have done this for various reasons.
>>

> Yes, and it's valid to do so.
>

>> My suggestion is to do the following:
>>
>> 1. If we have a base configuration that should not change for settings
>> IE the Z: mapping then do not allow this to be changed or deleted in
>> winecfg. If someone is dumb enough to go into the ini file and delete it
>> then they should know better.
>>

> This would make a lot of people unhappy (like the creation of the
> Universe) for "various reasons".
>

>> 2. If it is critical that the Z: or drive mapping be there for  / then
>> if its missing should wine then handle this condition?
>>

> 1) It's not critical.
> 2) Wine already handles this condition. It's no different from any
> other drive link in this way. It doesn't even have to be Z; you can
> manually change it to be D if you really want. The only critical drive
> is C: and that IS handled differently (especially in winecfg).

ok then I am very confused then...
I deleted the / mapping all together and then ran the dotest script and
the make test scripts
dotest fails if the / mapping is not there along with the inetmib1
test.  I opened a bug
concerning the inetmib test failing and was told that my configuration
with the / mapping deleted
was an invalid wine configuration that the / is absolutely needed by wine.

So I am confused... is it required or not? and if it is then we get back
to my original RFC here =D

Chris