RFC on Base Wine Config

chris ahrendt celticht32 at yahoo.com
Sat May 2 22:56:24 CDT 2009

Juan Lang wrote:
>> ok then I am very confused then...
>> I deleted the / mapping all together and then ran the dotest script and
>> the make test scripts
>> dotest fails if the / mapping is not there along with the inetmib1
>> test.  I opened a bug
>> concerning the inetmib test failing and was told that my configuration
>> with the / mapping deleted
>> was an invalid wine configuration that the / is absolutely needed by wine.
>>
>> So I am confused... is it required or not?
>>

> It is not required.  What _is_ required is that the path to the
> current executable is mapped, somewhere.  I suggested you remap Z: to
> / as it's the default, and it was the most concise way to ensure that
> your configuration met the requirement.  As Ben said, you could map
> any drive.  Heck, you could have mapped Q: to the dlls/inetmib1/tests
> directory and the inetmib1 test would have worked, while having no
> mapping would not work.
> --Juan

I realise this juan...
I guess I am not being completely clear somewhat....
If I am in windows and go into explorer... go to a network drive. I do
not nescisarily have to map that drive in order to run an application
(so long as the DLLS it needs, if any, are not just on that drive). I
can click the application
and it runs. I realise this may be a fundamental difference between unix
and windows but still they should theoretically run the same.  Also from
a command line I can do (I think if I am remembering correctly (been
doing to much z work lately) ) //server/directory/app.exe and it will
retrieve and run the app... (I think)

Chris