RFC on Base Wine Config

Ben Klein shacklein at gmail.com
Sun May 3 00:07:35 CDT 2009

2009/5/3 chris ahrendt <celticht32 at yahoo.com>:

> Juan Lang wrote:
>>> ok then I am very confused then...
>>> I deleted the / mapping all together and then ran the dotest script and
>>> the make test scripts
>>> dotest fails if the / mapping is not there along with the inetmib1
>>> test.  I opened a bug
>>> concerning the inetmib test failing and was told that my configuration
>>> with the / mapping deleted
>>> was an invalid wine configuration that the / is absolutely needed by wine.
>>>
>>> So I am confused... is it required or not?
>>>

>> It is not required.  What _is_ required is that the path to the
>> current executable is mapped, somewhere.  I suggested you remap Z: to
>> / as it's the default, and it was the most concise way to ensure that
>> your configuration met the requirement.  As Ben said, you could map
>> any drive.  Heck, you could have mapped Q: to the dlls/inetmib1/tests
>> directory and the inetmib1 test would have worked, while having no
>> mapping would not work.
>> --Juan
>>

> I realise this juan...
> I guess I am not being completely clear somewhat....
> If I am in windows and go into explorer...

We've been through this before. Wine is not Windows. In Wine, the
drive has to be mapped in dosdevices.

> go to a network drive. I do
> not nescisarily have to map that drive in order to run an application
> (so long as the DLLS it needs, if any, are not just on that drive). I
> can click the application
> and it runs. I realise this may be a fundamental difference between unix
> and windows but still they should theoretically run the same.

But you're NOT running the test from a network drive, are you? And
even if you were, you'd need some way to inform Wine that it's there,
which would be to map it to a drive. Does Wine even support
Windows-style shares?

> Also from
> a command line I can do (I think if I am remembering correctly (been
> doing to much z work lately) ) //server/directory/app.exe and it will
> retrieve and run the app... (I think)

You should probably verify this.

2009/5/3 chris ahrendt <celticht32 at yahoo.com>:
> And you are looking at the wrong bug... 1
> The bug in question is actually :  18283 (now closed as the issue was
> resolved by the mapping)  not 17996.

18283 didn't come up in my search. It would have been much easier if
you mentioned the bug number when you first mentioned that you
reported a bug for this.

> The only way to fix it was mapping the  / drive or mapping the ~/wine-git directory to a physical drive for wine to use...

Yes. This is how it works. This is how it always has worked.

> In Windows you don't nescissarily need to map a drive to run an application from that networked drive.

It's NOT a networked drive, is it? Drive mappings are the only way to
tell Wine and apps running in Wine where your files are in your
host-system (Unix-style) filesystem.

Note that it would be a breach of security to allow some method to
access / without a direct mapping in dosdevices.

> Also no its not a PEBKAC it is a valid question and a request for comment not a request for insult and slam.

This message appears in your bug report:
> Warning: could not find DOS drive for current working directory
> '/home/cahrendt/wine-git/dlls/inetmib1/tests', starting in the Windows
> directory.

PEBKAC QED.

> Grow up..

How about you *THINK* about what you're doing and how it works before
reporting obviously invalid bugs?