Severity levels

Rosanne DiMesio dimesio at earthlink.net
Sun May 3 23:07:44 CDT 2009

> > Let's try user education.  You only get to choose normal and we get to
> > up/downgrade until you can prove that you know how to do it right.  This
> > is how some companies do it.
> >
> > James McKenzie
> >

> +1. Or just remove priorities for users altogether.

I think you mean severity. I agree that users should be limited in what severity level they can set, but I suspect that not allowing them to set severity at all would create too much work for the people who would have to go in and set the severity level for every bug filed. What I would suggest is making the default severity normal rather than enhancement, as that's what's appropriate in most cases anyway (and there's already a bug report, 13363, suggesting just that), and perhaps allowing users to lower the severity if they want. Judgments about raising the severity level above normal should be restricted to the people who know what they're doing.

Rosanne DiMesio <dimesio at earthlink.net>