GUI debugging

Reece Dunn msclrhd at googlemail.com
Tue May 5 03:11:29 CDT 2009

2009/5/5 Austin English <austinenglish at gmail.com>:
> On Tue, May 5, 2009 at 2:13 AM, Benoit SCHWINDEN
> <benoit.schwinden at unistra.fr> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I am trying to make a very special application working with Wine 1.1.20
>> (Loris, from Ever Ezida, a library management software). Almost
>> everything is functionnal, but there is a little graphical bug with some
>> texfields. Also, I would like to know if there are some ways to debug a
>> GUI, especially a way to know which library or DLL is called to display
>> a part of this GUI (ie know what DLL is used to display my faulties text
>> fields).
>
> If any terminal output is triggered by activating/interacting with
> that area, it'd be a good place to look.
>
> Otherwise, +relay would tell you, but it'll also give you a lot more
> information that you don't need.

Most of the UI is located in user32 and comctl32. Is it a plain text
filed (could be the edit control in user32), or a formatted edit field
(could be the richedit control in riched32), or it could be a custom
written control in Loris itself.

I would suggest that you file a bug and attach a screenshot.

Some general pointers:
1.  it could be to do with theming (if you have installed and are
using a Windows theme such as Zune);
2.  it could be due to using an incorrect font or locale that has
missing characters for things like "e with acute";
3.  the program could be expecting Windows fonts and font
characteristics (have you tried installing MS core fonts using
winetricks: http://wiki.winehq.org/winetricks?);
4.  it could be an issue with font smoothing.

- Reece