Severity levels

Darragh Bailey felix at compsoc.nuigalway.ie
Tue May 5 09:42:09 CDT 2009

On Mon, May 04, 2009 at 11:24:58AM -0700, James Mckenzie wrote:
> Ben Klein wrote on May 4th:
> >
> >Final post from me.
> >
> >2009/5/5 Nicklas Börjesson <Nicklas.Borjesson at ws.se>:
> >> b) I thought that priority was developer priority and severity was
> >> severity for the users.
> >
> >Nope. Both for the benefit of developers, hence why they're both on bugzilla.
> >

> One question:  Does Bugzilla have a place for user's to place the Impact on their ability to use a Windows program?  This is much different than the priority and severity fields.
>
> James McKenzie

In catching up on this long discussion, this is the first post that I've
seen that actually comes close to pin-pointing what is being requested.

Current:
Severity = messure of bug impact on wine

Requested:
Severity = message of bug impact on application running in wine

IMHO the bugzilla severity field is not the right place to measure
impact to other applications of bugs in the current development.
Attempting to track that type of information in the severity field
will always lead to confusion and problems.

A more logical approach would be to either add a different field or use
tags to track the impact on the affected app.

--
Darragh

"Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool."