Severity levels

Nicklas Börjesson Nicklas.Borjesson at ws.se
Wed May 6 06:11:17 CDT 2009

>However, a developer should be aware of the impact on the user experience and
>the user's determined severity of a problem.

That has been my point all the time. I was told that the users perceptions
were not important since, a least according what I understood,
they could not be trusted to be objective in their classification.
Also, it was not very important to know their priorities anyway.

>Users should not be determining this through the use of the severity and
>priority fields.  I have discussed the use of an impact field to have the
>user state what impact the problem has on their ability to use/install a
>particular application.

However, I thought adding a extra field would be too bold a proposition, so I
proposed to change the severity field instead(which I felt was unlinear anyway).

Regarding the interface of the bug reporting I am also with you.
It is simply not simple enough for normal users. Too many "knobs".

The "problem" is that it is felt that enough bugs are reported anyway, and
that therefore, no improvements are needed.
Maybe that's correct, but I just can't help to think it is a bit of a strange mindset.

//Nicklas