Shuttleworth on Wine

Nicklas Börjesson Nicklas.Borjesson at ws.se
Thu May 7 13:55:19 CDT 2009

>I think you're seriously underestimating Wine, and the amount of
>'real' work it can accomplish. The world doesn't revolve around Adobe
>products, contrary to what many recent converts to GNU/Linux may
>think.

As usual, I am not talking about myself, but people in generals'
perception of it, which reflected quite well in Shuttleworths comments.
Whatever you think of the guy, remember he was a developer on
the Debian project in the nineties. He's not totally unitiated.
And I don't think he is unique in any way.

Also, (quoting http://www.winehq.org/about/):
"Wine is still under development, and it is not yet suitable for general use."
Doesn't say stability. Especially when the version has passed 1.0.

And the *rest* of the world DO revolve around a few applications.
That is why they think so.

>Though, I must say, the majority of people I see/hear using Photoshop
>*are* using it as a toy/hobby, not for 'real' work, i.e., a full time
>job.

I have the same impression. And most haven't paid for it either.
Anyway, that really isn't important.
The important thing is that they want it, no why.