DIB Engine : Almost 100% working

Roderick Colenbrander thunderbird2k at gmail.com
Sun May 10 12:49:07 CDT 2009

On Sun, May 10, 2009 at 5:07 PM, Massimo Del Fedele <max at veneto.com> wrote:
> James McKenzie ha scritto:
>

>> Good work.  Have you started to think about how to get this into Wine
>> where AJ will approve?
>>
>> James McKenzie
>>

> Ah, I'm not very optimistic that it'll ever enter on wine tree :-)
> Nor have I time to adopt the "trial and error" way up to it's
> approved.
> The easiest way I see by now is to add it to wine drivers as an
> "alternative" driver in parallel to X11 one.
> That could be done in less then 5 minutes and with no regressions :-)
>
> As I said before, to include it as replacement of actual driver would
> mean to make an half rewrite of both gdi32 and winex11.
> BTW, my engine has still space for a 3 optimizations that could speed
> it up even a lot more :
>
> 1) Font caching - shouldn't be too difficult
> 2) Access DDB directly for blit - not too difficult, and could bring
>   a speed gain of 100% on mixed DDB/DIB operations
> 3) xxxBlt are not very optimized .... I would expect another 50-100% speed
>   gain on blitting with few codelines more.
>
> Ciao
>
> Max

Unfortunately getting this code into Wine is not really possible
(Alexandre would like to see Huw finishing the design and all the work
but no time has been assigned to him for this) BUT I think work on
this DIB engine even if it won't make it in Wine isn't wasted. This
DIB engine even if not correct shows us what apps can benefit and by
how much from the dib engine (before we only had guesses). If running
photoshop on Wine is significantly faster using the DIB engine (it
might be useful to do tests for that, there are ways to benchmark
photoshop) Codeweavers might work on it.

Roderick