Severity levels

Nicklas Börjesson Nicklas.Borjesson at ws.se
Mon May 11 08:28:07 CDT 2009

>> From almost the first response, the tone was quite condescending

> No.

Here we go. I'll try again. Yes.

>If professionalism means never giving up, even when it has been
>*explained* to you why your idea won't work in practice, then you
>succeeded.

In the end someone did explain, yes. But it took about 10 posts until
anyone started to actually read what I had written and stop reading
in other things into what it said. Like constantly stating that
"photoshop isn't the all only application" and the like, when that
had nothing to do with what my point was.
I don't give up. Especially when I have time to spare. Which I did.

> perhaps your idea isn't as brilliant as you think?

I did not think of my idea as brilliant. In fact, I have never even
remotely tried to convey that. I just thougt of it as an idea.
This is exactly the kind of attitude that leads nowhere.
Why even write that sentence? Did we get anywhere?

> You have to treat valid critical response with the same respect as
> valid positive response.

I did, even if it didn't adress what I said. Although I did comment
when someone persisted with strawman arguments like "should we let
users in control of the project" even though I had never said anything
like that.

> Ever managed a project as big as Wine? In terms of number of
> developers, or sheer lines of code?

Have you?
Regarding sheer lines of code, the main application
(a portfolio/fund management system) I am working have roughly the
same amount of code that wine does. Or at least around 90%.
The database currently has 327 tables and customer databases range
from 1-100 gigabyte in size. With regards to complexity, wine has
nothing on it, at least as far as I have seen so far.
So I'd say I know a thing or two about large projects.

You seem to think that the wine project is some kind of huge
beheamoth of a project. In fact, most fairly common business applications
are just as large(especially in later years when so much code is auto-generated).
One or two million LOCs is not huge. Big, but not huge.

Especially, I know that when a project grows, softer values tend to
become more important. And that users, handled correctly, can be more
of a resource, than a liability.

//Nicklas