Wine policy question: What is considered "reverse engineering"/what is acceptable?

Daniel Santos javatroubadour at yahoo.com
Wed May 13 14:20:26 CDT 2009

I was recently attempting to isolate the cause of a hang in Lord of the Rings Online and had it in a debugger.  I mentioned this on IRC and was told that I was "reverse engineering" and any patch I came up with would not be accepted.  I find this rather confusing and would like to better understand the "dos and don'ts" of wine development.  Is this documented anywhere?

If it matters any, the license agreement says that you may not reverse engineering it including "decompiling or disassembling" but it does not specifically mention using a debugger (although viewing disassembly from the debugger would obviously be covered).  My aim was only to attempt to determine which thread(s) were hanging so I could isolate my logging to those thread(s) and try to figure out what was going wrong.

Thanks,
Daniel