AppDB and Distributions

André Hentschel nerv at dawncrow.de
Fri May 15 09:56:11 CDT 2009

Hi,
It's getting more and more strange in our AppDB.
If a user is running Ubuntu 9.04, he has 14 options which distribution
called Ubuntu 9.04 to choose.
14?
There only should be two, the 32-Bit and the 64-Bit Version.
If we don't stop that we get more and more chaos in our DB.
So why this mess? I guess the users choose one and then see a way deeper
some fields called "Distribution Name:" and "Distribution URL:", but
they don't read the headline "New Distribution".
Maybe we should do something like "IF (choosen distribution) THEN (dont
allow to make new one)".
Or maybe hide the "New Distribution"-Fields a bit more or make the "New"
bigger.
Beside clones like "Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty x86_64" and "Ubuntu 9.04 "Jaunty"
x86_64 (+ variants like Kubuntu)" there are also old Alphas which should
be removed, same thing for other Versions.

see also Bug 17401

Thanks for reading
Best regards André Hentschel