[Article] WINE and the importance of application compatibility

James McKenzie jjmckenzie51 at earthlink.net
Sun May 17 18:56:02 CDT 2009

Scott Ritchie wrote:
> nn wrote:
>>

>> WINE and the importance of application compatibility
>>
>> http://community.zdnet.co.uk/blog/0,1000000567,10012751o-2000630136b,00.htm
>>

> It's a good article, though it's sad to see a mention of "WineX" as a
> serious alternative to Wine.  WineX was obsolete years ago (and the
> consensus about its successor Cedega on the various web forums seems
> to be that it's often substantially behind Crossover Games).

The article stated that most of it was a few years old.
> Codeweavers, you need to do a better job letting people know Crossover
> Games exists.

WE need to get to the point where most of the common business type
applications will run in Wine without a bunch of twiddling and fixes.
The average "Joe" user will not put up with this.  I've been on this
mantra for a long time.  Build a better mousetrap built on an OS that is
more robust and market it correctly and you will have the world at your
fingertips.  Witness the comparision between Windows and OS/2.  OS/2 was
technically superior but had problems running most of the current
software.  It 'died' and Windows lived on.  The same could be said about
Linux/Wine at its current state.   I need Wine to run a few Windows
applications, one of which will not be made for either Linux or Mac.
Thus, I have to have Windows compatibility or Windows itself.  I don't
feel like 'polluting' my system, so I need API compatibilty.  Wine
delivers this for me.  The problem is that I need another Windows
program to run.  I'm going to work on it and report bugs as they
occur.   I may also start running Winetest to see what works and what
does not.  Hopefully, with the recent release of XQuartz 2.3.3, most of
the problems have gone away.

James McKenzie