DXTn textures in D3DX9

Tony Wasserka tony.wasserka at freenet.de
Fri May 22 06:57:15 CDT 2009

Hi everyone,
I'm working on implementing D3DXLoadSurfaceFromFileInMemory right now,
but I've got a problem. The function
most convert a loaded surface's data to a user specified surface format
(I did not yet find a way to do it elsehow,
UpdateTexture and StretchRect are to limited for that task, suggestions
welcome if I missed anything).
Now, if the user specifies that D3DX9 needs to convert e.g. an R8G8B8
surface to DXT1 (or to save a surface to a
DXTn compressed DDS file), I'm not sure wether I can implement that
behavior; on #winehackers I was told that
the (de)compression part is coverered by S3's patents, but the Gimp DDS
plugin and this
(http://mollyrocket.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=392) seem to provide OSS
solutions for it anways.
So... Can anybody tell me for sure wether I may implement this code or not?

Best regards, Tony