wine on MacOS 10.5.7: 3/4 success

Steven Edwards winehacker at gmail.com
Fri May 22 11:30:35 CDT 2009

On Fri, May 22, 2009 at 5:39 AM,  <Joerg-Cyril.Hoehle at t-systems.com> wrote:
> Set one of those to /usr/X11/lib, because that's where libfreetype*
> resides in MacOS. There's no need to turn to MacPorts.
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/X11/lib ./wine notepad
>  lets wine finds hundreds of fonts.
>
> BTW, Macports' wrapper uses DYLD_FALLBACK_LIBRARY_PATH
> The ./wine wrapper itself sets DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH to its internal .so dir.
>
> Maybe it would not be a good idea to add this directory to the
> official ./wine wrapper, as it could cause conflicts with Fink or
> Macports sets of libraries?

There is a reason you may want to roll your own freetype. I don't
believe the freetype that ships with even the latest Xorg dpkg
contains support for the patented bytecode stuff or subpixel rendering
enabled. I could be wrong about needing to do it (perhaps I have an
old version floating around), but I rolled my own freetype with it
enabled and enabled the proper keys in Wine and can hardly see a
difference in Safari or Wine iexplore rendering winehq.org

You should be legally covered on by virtue of being a Mac user as
Apple owns a nice patent chest and also owns one part of the patent
pie.
--
Steven Edwards