/. wants a fork

Daniel Devine devine at ddevnet.net
Mon May 25 08:47:37 CDT 2009

On Monday 25 May 2009 23:12:57 Remco wrote:
> Oh great, now there is poison on slashdot:
>
> http://tech.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=09/05/24/2044239
>
> Let's not fork, shall we?
>
> Remco

I saw the article.

Anybody who thinks a fork is a good idea is quite frankly an idiot. However
they are free to have their own GIT repo and play in their own corner.

At the end of the day anybody is able to write a patch and share it with
whomever they like - it might even be extremely popular but that is no
reason to spoil the main code base. Patching and compiling really is child's
play - there is even automated scripts for Ubuntu so even your grandmother
can do it. Stop whining and improve your code/design and try asking around
for some help.

On the subject of the DIB engine I think that the parties involved need to
just cool down, remember that they are on the same team and calmly and
rationally work out the (full!) requirements.

I am not very well known to this list (but I hang in #winehq and -social quite
a bit) so I'm not sure if I am right to submit my thoughts. Take whatever I
have said wrong with a grain of salt. I love the Wine project and I hope to
become a productive contributor eventually.

Also take Slashdot with pinch... I mean BAG of salt.