/. wants a fork

James McKenzie jjmckenzie51 at earthlink.net
Mon May 25 20:48:27 CDT 2009

Nicklas Börjesson wrote:
>> Not sure, but I see the second time around was a success for him.
>>

> Let's not look to hard.
> He (or her) does have the right to having an opinion and going out of one's way finding out and posting here would only appear vindictive and fuel interest.

1.  I don't feel like creating a /. account just to reply.
2.  AJ has keep several bad patches from being applied to Wine since
I've been here.  Without this, we would have a project that supports a
couple of programs real well and others would be complete garbage..
3.  There should be a code style and submission guidance document.
Something that explains coding style (four spaces vice tabs) and comment
style ('c' style vice C++/VC++/Java).  It would also be nice to have a
statement that a patch has to affect one and only one area or bug.   Oh,
fixes CANNOT break existing running programs, just to get your favorite
running, if you want them accepted.

Now with that being said, getting the DIB engine into Wine may take a
lot of shoehorning and for AJ to look over all of the code and
accept/reject it with good notes and reasons.  "You can do better" is
not, in my book, a good reason.  "Your code is not up to our standards"
is with a side comment of "look at what is accepted and what is
peer-rejected before resubmission".  Of course, AJ does take on projects
that a coder just cannot make work within the standards.  And this is a
good thing.  Sadly, Electroshock decided that he would take his toys and
go play in another sandbox.

And lastly, I think there is a site at repo.cz that has all of the
unaccepted Wine code somewhere, that we all could look at and fix.

James McKenzie