DIB engine

Stephan Rose kermos at somrek.net
Fri May 29 14:27:38 CDT 2009

>>As was said in the other thread, just designing it alone would take a
>>few months work. AJ is really busy with other things, and a few months
>>work is both a lot of money and a lot of wasted productivity. No one
>>is stepping up to sponsor the work, so it's a bit hard for him to take
>>that on.
>
>Who is asking AJ to do all of the work.  Huw Davies and Max have worked out
>what is needed to get this into Wine.  All we need is guidance on what is
>acceptable and how we should proceed.  This seems to be a serious shortcoming
>on AJs part.  Without this, any further work would be futile and could end up
>being very frustrating.  I've seen this from Huw and it is starting to come
>from Max.  AJ needs to get some time together and write up what is and is not
>acceptable as far as code style, fashion and what he expects out of the
>development efforts for the DIB engine.  Making a statement
>after months of work is IHMO very unacceptable.
>
>Also, I don't see this as circular, but the 'snake' of getting AJ to accept
>code into the codebase is.

This is where I figured I'd wake up and chime in a bit. None of you all know me I suppose but I've been primarily just listening in on this list for the better part of two years now. :)

My ears perked up when the two words DIB and spec were put together in the same sentence. One frustration I encountered when wanting to contribute to wine a little over two years ago was that nobody seemed to be able to say "Hey, this is what we are missing/need, here are the specs, go implement". Essentially, that's how I work and how I work well. Trying to fix random bugs in random applications in a codebase completely unfamiliar to me seemed to be rather futile so at that point in time I abandoned those efforts and just stuck to using wine. =P

So that said, I've got a decent amount of experiences dealing with graphics, including full 24/32-bit color on embedded devices. Considering the environment, performance has always been a priority as well. Plus, I also really like working with graphics related code. So from where I'm standing right now, this seems to be right in my neighbourhood.

So if anyone can drop a full spec into my lap which outlines everything I need to write and where (given I adhere to things as I should of course) I won't have any issues getting that accepted later on, I'd be more than willing to take on something like this.

Thanks,

Stephan