DIB engine

Andrew andrew at brightnightgames.com
Sun May 31 11:16:21 CDT 2009

Stephan Rose wrote:
> On Sat, 2009-05-30 at 14:14 -0700, Dan Kegel wrote:
>
>> Stephan Rose wrote:
>>
>>> My ears perked up when the two words DIB and spec were put
>>> together in the same sentence. One frustration I encountered
>>> when wanting to contribute to wine a little over two years ago
>>> was that nobody seemed to be able to say "Hey, this is what
>>> we are missing/need, here are the specs, go implement".
>>> So if anyone can drop a full spec into my lap which outlines
>>> everything I need to write and where (given I adhere to things
>>> as I should of course) I won't have any issues getting that accepted later on...
>>>
>> I don't think such manna is likely to fall from heaven any time soon.
>> If it was that easy to spec, we would have been done by now.
>>
>> If you're looking for something better specified, try finishing off
>> gdiplus.   That's a somewhat well defined graphics package,
>> and Wine's implementation has a few missing bits yet, last
>> I checked.
>>

> Ok, then judging from the last few posts i'll leave DIB be for now
> seeing how there still seems to be some figuring out to do and I'll
> check into gdiplus missing bits sometime next week. :)
>
> Thanks,
>
> Stephan
I suppose this is as good a time as any to introduce myself.

My name's Andrew Eikum, I'm an undergraduate Computer Science student at
the University of Minnesota.  I contacted a Wine dev a few weeks ago
asking for a small project to use to get familiar with Wine.  I was
pointed towards the gdiplus section and told to begin stubbing out the
missing functions, to facilitate debugging.  After familiarizing myself
with how Wine's DLLs are built, and with Git, I'm now making quick
progress.  I expect to have a (huge) patchset ready in the next week or
two with most of the gdiplus functions stubbed.

After that, I plan to begin work on implementing some of the functions.
My degree's emphasis is computer graphics, so working on gdiplus will
give me a chance to learn more about the field as well as apply what I
already know.  I'm looking forward to working with other Wine devs on
gdiplus, and other parts of Wine in the future.