Please write audio tests (was: Playing ULAW sample correctly?)

Joerg-Cyril.Hoehle at t-systems.com Joerg-Cyril.Hoehle at t-systems.com
Tue Nov 3 07:33:42 CST 2009

Hi,

Eric Pouech wrote:
>> It is not acceptable that µ-law code bit-rots because of
>lack of continuous
>> testing (assuming it worked the day it was checked in).

>actually, you can add a (small) wave file in the test program (and
>create on the fly the needed file)
>we already test some .exe this way in winetest
One could do without real .wav files:

Wine would benefit from a test in msacm32/tests/ sketched as follows:
0. choose some base frequency like 11025Hz;
1. generate a PCM sine wave tone (like winmm/tests/wave.c);
2. convert it to µ-law via the ACM functions;
3. play it via winmm if wine_interactive is set (like in wave.c)
4. convert it back and apply some delta function to tell if it's
   close enough to the original sine,
   i.e. mechanically verify that the round-trip worked.
5. repeat 2-4 for
 - ADPCM
 - IMAADPCM
 - GSM6.10 (is available)
 - ....
 - actually, better enumerate all ACM converters and call them in turn
   rather than hard-code a fixed set of them.

I'll not write that, as the MCI will probably keep me busy until the end of the year.

Any volunteer who wants to provide this?

Regards,
	Jörg Höhle.