To error out or to skip tests?

Greg Geldorp ggeldorp at vmware.com
Fri Nov 6 09:55:29 CST 2009

Hi Jörg

> Failure to flag an error in such cases has known drawbacks:
> - For several month, Austin did not notice that his BSD boxes had lost
>   sound.  wave.ok simply reports "5 tests ok, 1 skipped" in joyfull
>   green, whereas it executed many tests half a year ago.
>
> - All those vmware boxes configured without sound and thus skipping
>   all but 5 wave.ok tests have for monthes *not* provided valuable
>   feedback to Wine.  So they were actually *not* executing tests, when
>   they could have.
>   It's only when Paul tested one of my tests that he realized that
>   sound was not configured on one of his vmware boxes, promptly
>   configured the sound device, and the tests passed.
>
> The picture on test.winehq.org is a disaster: None of the w95, w98, nt4,
> 2k, 2k3, Vista, 2k8, w7 machines have performed winmm:wave tests!
> They all have no sound configured.  Mostly useless.

A lot of those VMware boxes are mine. They come in two flavors. Some of them (starting with esx-) are ESX VMs, ESX is VMware's data center product, which simply doesn't support sound. The others (starting with gvg-) are Server VMs, which do support sound. The reason I didn't configure sound on them is because I'm simply not interested in sound. I'll consider enabling sound, but to be honest I'm a bit put off by your aggressive tone.

Anyway, the end result is that there will always be ESX VMs that can't run sound tests.

Best regards, Ge.