Another article that makes me want Wine to run in a sandbox

James McKenzie jjmckenzie51 at earthlink.net
Sat Nov 7 17:40:36 CST 2009

Dan Kegel wrote:
> http://www.linuxinsider.com/rsstory/68566.html
>
> The article is about users who are willing to
> follow bogus instructions to solve a problem
> (or install something).
>
> It makes me want the average desktop to be
> really, really locked down... and for user-installed
> apps to run in a sandbox so they can't break the
> rest of the system.
>
> I am looking forward to hear what the discussion at
> http://sandboxing.org comes up with.

Dan:

You really underestimate the stupidity of people.  This was pointed out
in the article with detail.  Folks will always try to get warez to run
and they will think that Linux is 'safe' until the first time they wipe
out their system by running Wine as root and then installing the warez
and it does its thing.  This is something that WE cannot and should not
control (this is a reversal of my previous statements on running Wine as
root, but folks continue to do so and we cannot really stop them from
doing so.)

However, adding the sandbox idea is what Java was based upon.  It
continues to fail to fully meet this requirement as Java still continues
to need to have physical access to devices on the hosting machine.  This
is not a shortcoming of Java, but a shortcoming of device emulation for
real-time or near-real-time processing.

James McKenzie