MCI and application-level thread-safety?

Joerg-Cyril.Hoehle at t-systems.com Joerg-Cyril.Hoehle at t-systems.com
Wed Nov 11 04:02:34 CST 2009

Hi,

So far my my patches have dealt only with "internal thread
consistency", i.e. to avoid bogus conditions that result by using
threads *internal* to the MCI.

I wonder whether the individual MCI devices must protect themselves
from application-level threads, i.e. an application issuing commands
to the same device from several threads?
(Also needed for auto-close...)

This for sure would require the addition of critical sections which
currently only mciavi32 has.  These have to be thought about very carefully
to avoid dead-locks (give me Erlang or Occam, or queues like in the audio
drivers instead of this lock-based error-prone stuff!).

Regards,
 Jörg Höhle