Working on avifil32, sudden "non enough memory" error

Julius Schwartzenberg julius.schwartzenberg at gmail.com
Sun Nov 15 10:30:05 CST 2009

Hi,

I'm working on fixing some things in avifil32. Several problems should
be gone when using the attached four patches and most AVI files play
back properly.

With one file however (GOODTIME.AVI from the win95 cd) I get this error
after about a second:
err:heap:HEAP_ValidateInUseArena Heap 0x110000: in-use arena 0x184420
next block has PREV_FREE flag
non enough memory

I have no idea where this comes from and why it happens. (It appears to
be unrelated to the memcpy call in avifile.c around line 1114.) With
+heap I also get this before the error:
HIGHPERF/GOODTIME.AVI: heap.c:403: HEAP_GetPtr: Controletest '0' faalt.
(the assert fails)

The whole output is here:
http://haar.student.utwente.nl/~julius/avifile-heaperr.log.gz

What could I try to figure out the cause of this problem? I can provide
both the file and my test program if necessary. Note that on MS Windows
XP it all works without problems.

Thanks in advance,
Julius