today's git broke winetricks gecko :-(

Joerg-Cyril.Hoehle at t-systems.com Joerg-Cyril.Hoehle at t-systems.com
Mon Nov 16 09:01:48 CST 2009

Hi,

>wine cmd /c echo yes now downloads gecko.

Me to -- I'm not pleased with Wine-1.1.33 starting an installation request upon startup.
- How am I going to automate regression testing when it hangs waiting for a mouse click?
- I tried to think positively about it and expected the winetest-1.1.33.exe
  to install Gecko and perform the mshtml tests when online.  Curiously they
  were skipped.  I have yet to find out why.

>Any suggestions are welcome.
Winecfg would be a better place to propose the installation of an optional component.

Perhaps I'm a very atypical Wine user:
 - no MMORPG, no ie6
 - My Wine is not used for anything online. Quite to the contrary,
   I have some iptables firewall rules to disable Wine IP traffic
   should anything ever manage to get in.
 - I never used winetricks.  I sometimes peeked at it.  When I needed
   Gecko long ago, I saw that the Wine source contains code to install it,
   downloaded Gecko.cab myself, modified the one registry entry to point to
   the .cab and let it install.  Worked.

IMHO, no general-purpose application should attempt to talk to
the internet when it starts.  Please
leave that behaviour to viruses and trojans only (and alikes, e.g. Adobe's
pdf).  Maybe I'm too old-fashioned in this decade of "always online even
in the subway" technical achievements.  Or I've been in the privacy-protection
(Datenschutz) and security business for too long.

Regarding winecfg, it could display "no Gecko/HTML support, click here to install
it (need be online)" in flashing red to attract the user's attention once you start it.
I wouldn't mind.

Regards,
	Jörg Höhle.