today's git broke winetricks gecko :-(

Tom Wickline twickline at gmail.com
Mon Nov 16 09:54:33 CST 2009

On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 11:38 PM, Steven Edwards <winehacker at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi Jacek,
>
> On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 10:16 AM, Jacek Caban <jacek at codeweavers.com>
> wrote:
> > Did you read the page from the link that is on the dialog informing about
> > missing Gecko?
>
> I've been kind of following this thread and see where Jörg is coming
> from. I don't think the argument about broken wine due to missing
> gecko makes much sense given the way we have other soft dependencies
> that can be missing if you build Wine yourself. A good example is the
> xml or opengl libraries. It's possible to have a working wine for
> specific needs without this package. If we are going to require this
> package for every wine install then I would argue we should not have
> any other soft dependencies either.
>
> If a packager has not packaged Gecko or a hacker has built from source
> it seems like winecfg should be invoked when a new prefix is created
> rather than prompting for the download. Maybe for the general usage
> case we should do it anyway. Alternatively, if we are going to have
> this hook in here to satisfy this dependency during prefix creation
> due to packagers not following a required guideline, maybe a little
> public ridicule will force them to fix the package. Something along
> the lines of 'your version of wine does not contain the gecko package,
> please contact the package maintainer and inform them about this
> issue' or something and let it proceed to download at least.
>

> --
> Steven Edwards
>
> "There is one thing stronger than all the armies in the world, and
> that is an idea whose time has come." - Victor Hugo

Jacek,

How does this work off line? If Wine cant download and install gecko at
wineprefix
creation then Wine wont work? And if so every time you create a wineprefix
your going to
have to be connected and the server is going to have to be up 100% of the
time or Wine
wont properly create a prefix.. You could time out and move to a backup
server but it still
begs the question of what if the servers are down, then what?

Can you please comment on this..

Tom