To error out or to skip tests?

Joerg-Cyril.Hoehle at t-systems.com Joerg-Cyril.Hoehle at t-systems.com
Wed Nov 18 05:00:46 CST 2009

Ge,

>After a bit of mucking around I got sound to work on the Linux host where
>those VMware Server VMs run, and enabled sound in the VMs where possible.
That's great.

I've not yet written the patch that'll silence machines without sound as I'm still thinking about how I'll implement "coherence tests", i.e.
 - a machine with no sound at all should skip everything without error;
 - yet a machine that passes play test #1 must also pass play test #2,
   i.e. the straight forward
    if (err==MCI_XY/*no sound*/) skip("no sound here, skipping\n");
   is not acceptable.  I'll do something more like
    ok(err==xyz && err==previous_similar_result,"...");
But it'll come...

Regards,
 Jörg Höhle.