Running server applications under Wine?

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Fri Nov 20 12:11:00 CST 2009

On Fri, Nov 20, 2009 at 9:57 AM, Sir Gallantmon <ngompa13 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 20, 2009 at 11:07 AM, Dan Kegel <dank at kegel.com> wrote:
>> > What do you think about implementing wineserver kernel module or
>> > handling only performance critical items in kernel?
>>
>> There has long been talk of doing that.  Linus is
>> even willing to take patches to implement win32 APIs
>> in the linux kernel.
>> But it turns out to not be what most people need.
>
> What do you mean by that? Wouldn't it be a good idea to be able to support
> some parts of Wine in the kernel level to be more efficient?

Of course.  It's just hard, and it isn't needed for the things
we tend to use Wine for at the moment.  Somebody actually
had a shot at implementing this back in 2000, see
http://lwn.net/2000/0914/a/lt-wine.php3
And that work lives on, it seems, as a part of
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_Unified_Kernel
So go try it out if you like (although I'm not sure
how safe it is for production).

I think the Wine team doesn't need to worry about
that stuff; we have our hands full just making the
win32 userland work well.
- Dan