wineserver: Added support for read/only Registry, similar to unprivileged users (try 2)

Alexandre Julliard julliard at
Mon Nov 30 09:43:13 CST 2009

Paul Chitescu <paulc at> writes:

> In the filesystem we use as backend for Registry all we can tell is if we can
> write to it or not so in the end one bit is all that's relevant (except if
> it's completely unreadable when wine should abort).
> No matter what an user does it cannot change that. We don't want a wine
> service running as root trying to replicate Windows access rights on the
> native system, do we?

Yes, the right approach to multiuser is to have wineserver and system
processes run as root, and normal processes run as different users.

Alexandre Julliard
julliard at