Fedora users, please test mci patch about time-out/hanging machine

Michael Stefaniuc mstefani at redhat.com
Mon Nov 30 10:00:58 CST 2009

Joerg-Cyril.Hoehle at t-systems.com wrote:
> Michael,
>>> So the cause of random mci time-out on test.winehq may as
>> well lay elsewhere.
>> Like in PulseAudio? That may well be. PA in F11 made sound be more
>> broken in Wine.
> Is that your own experience or other people's reports?
My own from running winetest.exe; some of the dsound tests are failing
now which they didn't with F10. But according to Maarten the sound in
Wine is to be blamed for that.

> My experience with PA in Ubuntu Intrepid -- it's not the newest Ubuntu
> at all -- is that it has been stable for several month now, to a point
> where I regularly forget to run "pactl exit" to stop it every time I
> log into Gnome as I did half a year ago.
I don't have high requirements on sound, only youtube and xine/mplayer
and those just work. That's what squelched my desire to remove PA.

> Lastly, Wine has performed equally well in a PA, ALSA or OSS setting AFAICT.
> It's long ago that PA caused known bugs such as stuttering (in Hardy and
> Intrepid); they must have been fixed by a combination of changes in
> Wine and perhaps Ubuntu updates(?).
> Of course, YMMV.
Well, I don't use Wine ;)

bye