Winamp disappears when you move it's location

Peter Dons Tychsen donpedro at tdcadsl.dk
Wed Oct 7 21:39:39 CDT 2009

> So... i have investigated other ways of fixing this. Would you accept a
> patch that uses _NET_WM_MOVERESIZ to move the window? That might also
> fix the issue. That message requests the WM to move the window at not X.

I have now tested with _NET_WM_MOVERESIZ & _NET_MOVERESIZE_WINDOW
No cigar. They still have the same problem.

I have also discovered a major problem in the X11 driver which is
affecting this problem (winamp). The mouse code uses the relative
coordinates of the window and compares it to the cached value in
"whole_rect" and "client_rect". There are 2 problems here:

1) "whole_rect" and "client_rect" do not reflect the actual state of the
window, as X might not have processed the request yet. These values
should at least be updated on ConfigureNotify instead which signals that
X has completed (and accepted) the request.

2) Using the relative coordinates from X is not a good idea, as you do
not really know where the window is at that point. Instead the same
message also supplies a "x_root" and "y_root" value. I did an experiment
where i used these values instead of the other to calculate the mouse
coordinate. This had an amazing effect on the stability and the
smoothness when moving windows in e.g. Winamp. I did have problems with
the virtual desktop though, but that can probably be fixed.

Apart from this i am not really sure where the is a "window_rect" and
"whole_rect" as they are both overwritten with the same value every time
X11DRV_WindowPosChanged() is called.

As you did not like my initial attempt to fix the problem, please advise
which route you would approve of.

Thanks,

/pedro