Help needed: BSTR cache testing
markus.stockhausen at collogia.de
Fri Oct 9 07:07:35 CDT 2009
Am Freitag, den 09.10.2009, 13:43 +0200 schrieb Paul Vriens:
> Hi Markus,
> Isn't there a way that you can change the tests to show this number (in
> some kind of loop by creating a larger second string on the go)?
It simply boils down to this one and only testcase. A SysFreeString will
always preserve the contents of the heap and will put the address into
some caching freelist.
It does not matter how these freelists are organized because of two
- The application does not know the state of oleaut freelists. Earlier
calls could have filled them up to some state.
- This leads to the second situation that the application cannot
anticipate. Will it get a new memory area or something from a freelist
when doing a SysAllocString.
Reading bugzilla i can see that errors due to missing BSTR caching are
ancient WINE companions. But only because of faulty applications. In my
opinion there are three ways to go:
- close all associated bugs and blame the developers
- take some weeks and try to explore the caching behaviour of oleaut
- implement only that bit of caching that is required for the bugs
My sent in testcase is the basis for the third solution and as my code
proposal shows I'm willing to spend some time to get it fixed.
More information about the wine-devel